Monday, January 31, 2011

Hungry Girl!

Do you fantasize about food when you're hungry?  I was driving home from the gym (yes, I went to the gym...go me!) thinking about waffles, egg whites, bacon, and grits. I'm not even a huge fan of breakfast food, but that sounded so good to me.  Then my thoughts shifted to what was for dinner tonight (spaghetti) and I began dreaming of the rolls at Provino's that are dripping in butter and garlic.  Mmmm...drooling...

So, I was super thrilled when I got home and found not one, but TWO Hungry Girl cookbooks waiting for me in my mailbox.  I ordered them online last week (Side note:  Order books from half.com.  You can find them WAY below retail price.  I frequently buy novels for $0.75.). Hungry Girl specializes in making super-fattening food healthy.  I have one of her books, but I need more. Plus, she has amazing recipes for desserts, and we all know how much of a sweet tooth I have. I can pass by potato chips any day of the week, but I can't restrain myself from pie. Anyway, I've flipped through the first one and already have some great ideas for next week.  After I finish typing this, I'm going to curl up on the sofa, watch Thomas the Tank Engine (Caleb's choice), and read and bookmark pages in my new cookbooks.

Today's menu:
         Breakfast:  Cereal bar (160 calories)
         Lunch:  Campbell's chicken noodle soup (220 calories), grapes (50 calories), 100 calorie cake
         Misc calories:  100 (I ate a couple Reese's pieces, a bite of Caleb's yogurt, and a french fry.  Yes, one french fry).  I'm proud of myself for counting this because this is the sort of stuff that I would overlook.
         Dinner:  Spaghetti - I use only 1/2 lb of super lean ground beef, 32 oz of tomato sauce, garlic powder, and italian seasoning.  I got the recipe from my best friend after she brought me food when Caleb came home from the hospital.  I also use SmartTaste angel hair pasta.  The calorie content is the same, but there is more protein and fiber.  (350 calories a serving...I'm guessing here...but I know I will eat a little more than the packaged serving size so I'm going to say 500 calories).  This will also be lunch tomorrow for me...but I'll only eat one serving size then.  :-)
         Dessert:  Lowfat ice cream (130 calories)
Total for the day:   1260 - pretty good, and I worked out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment