Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hot dogs?

So because Glen is at church on Wednesdays, I'm always on my own for dinner. Frequently, though, Glen is hungry when he gets home (depending on what they have for dinner), so I try to make something with leftovers.  Tonight, I was debating between shrimp pasta (shrimp, rotini, tomato-basil pesto, low-fat feta cheese), which I never make because Glen is allergic to shellfish, and hot dogs with homemade chili. For some crazy reason, I was craving hot dogs, which is really funny because I NEVER crave hot dogs.

Anyway, once I realized the chili would generate leftovers for Glen tonight AND for my lunch tomorrow, I went with the hot dog/chili.  I found light beef hot dogs (90 calories each!) and light whitewheat buns (also 90 calories each). 190 calories for a hot dog seemed really good. I would have bought turkey hot dogs (which only have 40 calories), but I knew we would probably eat them again for lunch over the weekend and Glen won't eat anything turkey - no turkey hot dogs, no turkey bacon, etc. So I made chili and put it in the crock pot and tried to feed Caleb a hot dog (cut up appropriately, don't worry).  Caleb rejected the hot dog. I can't get that kid to eat anything.  He'll eat everything they serve at daycare, but nothing for me. 

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about my dinner...hot dog with a little chili from my bowl, onion, and a side of chili.  Such a random dinner.  Oh, and I entered the chili on my recipe calculator, and however I did it last time must have been wrong, because it came out to like 298 calories per serving.  We'll just say 300.

My menu:
Breakfast:  cereal bar - 160 calories
Lunch:  chicken noodle soup (220 calories), salad (50 calories), apple (60 calories), 100 calorie cake
Dinner:  hot dog (190 calories), bowl of chili (300 calories)
Dessert:  ice cream - 130 calories

Total: 1150 (or 1340 if I end up with a second hot dog). Either way...not bad.  Ooh, plus I worked out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment