Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Quesadilla Effect

After I worked out today, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things before I went to get Caleb.  I was only in the grocery store for a few minutes, but because it was at the end of the day and after a workout, I was super hungry. I started looking around at the food and daydreaming about all I could eat. Little Debbies?  Crab cakes?  Pizza?  Candy bar?  Fruit?  I was so hungry.  I decided I was not buying anything extra, so whatever my snack was going to be had to come out of the bag. Most of the things were ingredients for dinner, plus some 100 calorie cakes and apples. I decided to go for the apple. When I put it in the back of the car, I opened the bag and took one (thinking briefly about how it had chemicals all over it and needed washing), which I began eating on the way to return the cart.  The apple was practically gone before I made it back to the car.

Allow me to introduce you to the "quesadilla effect".  When I lived in Texas, one of my good friends, Sarah, and I always made dinner together after we worked out. One night, when we got back to the dorm (I lived in the dorms at seminary for 4 months...that's a whole different blog) there was a message from another friend who wanted to see if we wanted to go out to dinner.  I was always up for fun, so I called Sarah to see if she was in.  Sarah said sure, but when I went down to her room to get her to go, I found her sitting in front of the tiny refrigerator, door open, eating a cold quesadilla left over from a restaurant. "I was so hungry and it's going to be like an hour before we get our food!" Sarah told me.  I laughed really hard. So...whenever you are so hungry that you will tear into something without worrying about warming it up (or in my case..washing it), that's known as the "quesadilla effect".  I know some of you have come home and starting eating something out of the fridge the same way.

My menu today:
Breakfast:  cereal bar - 160 calories
Lunch:  leftover cowboy spaghetti (400 calories), 2 tagalongs (140 calories)
Snack:  one dirty apple (60 calories)
Dinner:  Shrimp pasta - this stuff is great.  Garlic and sundried tomato pesto mixed with shrimp and penne (Smart Taste!) with some feta sprinkled in (400 calories). 
Dessert: ice cream - 130 calories

Total for the day:  1290 - and I worked out, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment