Monday, February 7, 2011

Deep Thoughts by Holly


Don’t you just get tired of counting every single calorie?  I spend every day examining the nutritional content of what I am eating, entering recipes into calculators, and looking up restaurant info.  It’s exhausting!  Am I really going to have to do this forever?  I mean, I won’t blog about it forever (I know, heartbreaking), but to truly be health-conscious, you have to know what you’re eating.  People talk about lifestyle changes, but I’m sorry, at some point the obsessiveness will have to stop.  Food is becoming work!  Maybe that’s the point…if I have to work so hard to figure out what I’m eating…I will only eat the healthy stuff.  That’s so unrealistic, though. 

One of my favorite authors is Jen Lancaster, who writes mostly memoirs.  One of her books is about a weight loss adventure.  She is one of the funniest, most candid authors I have ever read, and she talks about doing the Atkins diet.  Unfortunately, since all carbs are denied, she writes about how she is constantly craving anything with a little sugar in it.  She has a delicious cheese sauce, but can’t use anything to dip into it!  No chips, bread, or tortillas allowed!  So finally, she is dipping pieces of cheese into cheese sauce!  Brilliant! Yet…so wrong.   I mean, we all know I LOVE carbs so I would only last about 20 minutes on Atkins, but because I know that I shouldn’t eat all the stuff that is bad for me…I want it!  Now!

I wish I had a personal chef who could make all my meals with my caloric specifications, and do all the calculating for me.  I think that’s how celebrities stay so thin.  So, when I win the lottery (which I’m going to have to start playing to win)…that’s one of my first moves.

My menu today:
Breakfast:  Cereal bar (160 calories)

Lunch:  3 Hungry Girl leftover  English muffin pizzas from last night (250 calories), grapes and strawberries (100 calories), 100 calorie cake

Snack:  Okay, I had a meeting at school, so I knew I wouldn’t get home until late tonight, so I had to have a snack.  I stressed all afternoon about what to eat.  I looked up smoothie king calories (OMG!), snacks, “healthy” fast food snacks, etc.  I finally decided on a mini turkey sandwich (or kid’s sandwich) from Subway.  210 calories…not bad…I’ve eaten a single cookie with as many calories.

Dinner:  Glen is cooking – yay!  He’s making chili, but I entered all the ingredients (lean ground beef, tomato sauce, chili beans, seasoning) into a calorie counter and it comes to 295 calories per serving.  I don’t know that I think the ground beef is right because the calories it attributes to that are high (it’s 93% lean), but I always err on the side of caution.  Oh, let’s add another 50 calories for crackers and low-fat cheese (just a little!).  So…we’ll just go with 350 for dinner.

Dessert:  Ice cream – 130 calories.  Assuming I eat it. Or maybe a Hungry Girl cupcake - 92 calories.  One or the other...

I did work out today – yay!  So my total for the day is: 1300 – not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment